The Eastern Africa Universities Mathematics Programme (EAUMP) abbreviated as EAUMP started in 2002. It is the network aiming at alleviating the dismal state of Mathematics in Eastern Africa. It aims at enhancing capacity building as well as initiating and strengthening collaborative research activities within the region. It is envisaged that EAUMP will promote professional relationships among members.
The vision of the network is that EAUMP becomes a laboratory of ideas and to assist member institutions by formulating strategies and provide directions regarding research collaboration and capacity building in the sub-region.
The EAUMP has placed the participating institutions in the region; namely University of Dar Es Salaam, Nairobi University, Makerere University, National University of Rwanda, Kigali Institute of Technology and University of Zambia in a very excellent position in Africa and the entire world as a whole in terms of staff, facilities, research and collaboration.
The project aims at alleviating the dismal state of Mathematics in Eastern Africa. It has been noted that the state of Mathematics in this region is very poor and therefore corrective measures are urgently needed to alleviate this situation.
The project consists of four basic components namely:-
- Enhancement of postgraduate training with special emphasis to PhD training so as to build capacity in Universities in the region and training advance mathematics researchers needed in other socio-economic sectors in the region. Training programmes will be run in jointly by staff from collaborating universities. Since there is a limited pool of PhD candidates in the region, resources under this project will be utilized to support M.Sc. training in the region especially in areas where the participating departments have an acute shortage.
- Establishing and strengthening collaborative research in Mathematics areas of interest in the region. Collaborative research projects must supported by a strong postgraduate programme. Here staff exchanges and research visits will be conducted within and outside the region.
- Strengthening the collaboration in mathematics with other networks .
- Development of resources for the collaborating Mathematics departments. These resources include teaching and learning materials, research databases and maintenance of department’s website among others.
The expected results of the project include:-
- Improved Mathematics Publications profile in the region
- Increased number of Mathematics PhD holders in the region
- Improved human and non-human resources of participating departments
- Introduction of new Mathematics areas in the curriculum of participating departments
The main funding agency of the network since 2002 to date is the International Science Programme (ISP) of Uppsala University, Sweden. The fund for EAUMP is renewable every after three years. The first phase of fund started from 2002 to 2004, the second phase was from 2005 to 2007, the third phase was from 2008 to 2010, and the fourth phase was from 2011 to 2013, the fifth phase 2014 to 2016. The sixth phase to be begin 2018 to 2020 with polo-longed of phase five by one.
MEMBERS OF EAUMP
The current members of EAUMP are:
1. University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
2. Nairobi University, Kenya
3. Makerere University, Uganda
4. University of Rwanda, Rwanda
5. University of Zambia, Zambia
ADMINISTRATION OF EAUMP
- Prof. Patrick Weke – Director of School of Mathematics, University of Nairobi and Overall coordinator EAUMP
- Dr. Ongaro Jared – Coordinator of Nairobi University and curremt Secretary of EAUMP
- Prof. Eunice Mureithi – Coordinator of University of Dar es Salaam
- Dr. Juma Kasozi – Coordinator of Makerere University
- Dr. Mubanga Lombe – Coordinator of University of Zambia
- Mr. Michael Gahirima – Coordinator of Kigali Institute of Science and Technology
- Dr. John M. Mango – Inter Network Coordinator, Makerere University
- Prof. L. Abrahamsson – International Science Programme
- Dr. Jamen Hudson Were – University of Nairobi
- Dr. V. A. Ssembatya – Makerere University
- Prof. Allen Mushi – University of Dar Es Salaam
- Dr. Desire Karangwa – University of Rwanda
- Dr. Alasford M. Ngwengwe – University of Zambia
- Prof. Patrick Weke – Director of the School of Mathematics, University of Nairobi
- Prof. Eunice Mureithi – Head, Mathematics Department, University of Dar es Salaam
- Dr. Banzi Wellars – Head, Mathematics Department, University of Rwanda
- Dr. Isaac D. Tembo – Head, Mathematics Department, University of Zambia
- David Ssevviiri – Head, Mathematics Department, Makerere University
Coordinators and Advisory Committee Meetings
- The Coordinators meetings usually take place twice or once per year. The meetings are intended to organize and monitor all EAUMP activities.
- The Advisory Committee meeting usually takes place annually. Heads of department are also members of this committee. This is a committee for monitoring and giving advice in all activities of EAUMP.